DragCoverage.com Speed Forums  

Go Back   DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > Event Photos | Racer Videos

Old 11-17-2015, 09:49 PM

Default Cage Question

Ok guys we started on the cage in my s10, with the S&W kits the main hoop is designed to be moved forward to miss the rear cab mount. However I didn't know that when we set the main hoop back as far as we could due to me being so tall in an effort to make more room. With that being said as you can see in the picture below we placed it on the raised section of the floor pan on the base plates which would normally be used with a uni-body car. After I thought a little more about it I realized we might have messed up. For starters I don't know if it will certify like this much less protect me in a roll over. My understanding is the main hoop is supposed to be a point of contact to the frame and since it will be a full 10pt cage the two front bars and the down bars into the bed will be connected to the frame will this work?? If not what can I do to fix it??

Thanks in advance,

Howard
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2015, 01:04 PM

This is the way I done the last S10 that I caged, and if everything else is in the proper spots it will certify with the 6"x6" plates
Attached Images

Old 11-18-2015, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2fat2fly View Post
This is the way I done the last S10 that I caged, and if everything else is in the proper spots it will certify with the 6"x6" plates
Awesome!!! Thanks man for the info...I didn't think about this option...I was only focused on tying it in on the bottom side of the cab. Makes sense!!

Howard
Old 11-19-2015, 07:19 AM

Ive seen them done like 2fats certify. The ones I do I use 2x3 outriggers from the frame right in front of the cab mount and tie into the inner rocker panel also. I dont bend my hoops as far as the one pictured though. Then I bend the crossbar for extra room.
Old 11-19-2015, 11:39 AM

Howard
if those kits are the same as when it installed mine, consider swapping the front and rear bars that go side to side. the one under the dash was bent on both ends and if put on roll bar it would give you more seat room.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh Mackey View Post
Ive seen them done like 2fats certify. The ones I do I use 2x3 outriggers from the frame right in front of the cab mount and tie into the inner rocker panel also. I dont bend my hoops as far as the one pictured though. Then I bend the crossbar for extra room.
My cage looked great when josh finished it and I had plenty of room...
Old 11-20-2015, 12:37 PM

Default Cage

Chris I assume you're talking about in your white s10, do you by chance have any pics of the cage after it was installed? I've had several people who said the bars were bent in too far. I'm not sure why S&W bends them that much.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnin67 View Post
My cage looked great when josh finished it and I had plenty of room...
Josh,

I have the 2x3 outriggers which came with the kit but if I do that I will have to get another main hoop bent or it will set way too low in the truck.

Howard