DragCoverage.com Speed Forums  

Go Back   DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > Everything Else > Do It Yourself - "Talk Tech"

Old 08-21-2016, 07:32 AM

Default Methanol and oil ?

Does anyone use royal purple with Methanol? Thanks
Old 08-22-2016, 06:24 PM

I have been told by many not to use a synthetic oil when running Methanol/ Alcohol! But I can tell many if you put any kind of fuel in your oil you have a bad problem. Methanol set up any where close to right using a good set of rings will never put one drop of methanol in your oil. The days of milking your oil are a thing of the past they have improved the MFI,EFI and methanol carbs to where that is no longer a problem.
Old 08-23-2016, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 231 Racing View Post
Does anyone use royal purple with Methanol? Thanks
Lucas 20/50 been using it for over 15 years never had a problem will not use anything else
Old 08-23-2016, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugs View Post
Lucas 20/50 been using it for over 15 years never had a problem will not use anything else
That is what I used in my Alcohol engines,the Lucas 20-50 Race oil that you have to order not the street type you can buy off the shelf in any retail store. A lot of us mostly round tracks buy it from Advance you have to ask them for the race version and they go get it for you its not on the shelf.
Old 08-24-2016, 10:55 AM

I like Kendall 20/50 racing oil with a Lucas oil stabilizer. Going on 5 seasons since we last freshened it up.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:44 PM

I use valvoline vr-1 and don't have a problem with it. Will separate the alcohol after it sits. If you have a problem milking oil then crack drain plug after it's been sitting and let the alcohol drain out. Solved a lot of my milking issues with a lean out to help warm the car up. Then park the car for the night with it about 200*
Old 08-26-2016, 08:15 AM

I believe the majority of the milking associated with running methanol is water(condensation) because the engine is hot and the fuel is so cold. Take valve covers off of an alcohol engine while its warm and you will have a cup full of water. Now imagine how much is dripping from under the intake manifold while its running.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasydave View Post
I like Kendall 20/50 racing oil with a Lucas oil stabilizer. Going on 5 seasons since we last freshened it up.
yea what he said and the lean out building heat helps alot
Old 08-26-2016, 05:37 PM

is the Kendall your using still green or the newer version use to use it but never was able to find the green Kendall that was some good oil.
Old 08-26-2016, 06:08 PM

Bugs thats now Brad-Penn oil. Supposedly they bought that refinery and everything from kendall and still make the "green" oil
Old 08-27-2016, 10:33 AM

I run a vacuum pump that pulls all the condensation/moisture out of the engine. If you run alcohol I would say its a must have it not only keeps condensation out of your engine it allows the use of low tension rings and it pulls a vacuum on the engine you will no longer have any oil leaks or blow by and that all adds up to a increase in HP.
Old 08-28-2016, 10:48 PM

With alcohol it doesn't matter what oil you run if you don't treat the temp correctly! I had this proven to me even after we had ran alcohol for years. Leave the line around 160-170 degrees and at the end of the night before you load up run it up to around 180-185 and shut it off. Oil will look good when you drain it for the new oil!

We ran havoline oil for years with good results, recently swapped to
Kendal and have good results with it. Have ran parts store brand as well, it all comes out looking the same if you keep heat in it ��
Old 08-29-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by winnin67 View Post
With alcohol it doesn't matter what oil you run if you don't treat the temp correctly! I had this proven to me even after we had ran alcohol for years. Leave the line around 160-170 degrees and at the end of the night before you load up run it up to around 180-185 and shut it off. Oil will look good when you drain it for the new oil!

We ran havoline oil for years with good results, recently swapped to
Kendal and have good results with it. Have ran parts store brand as well, it all comes out looking the same if you keep heat in it ��
We got winner here folks!!!!