DragCoverage.com Speed Forums  

Go Back   DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > General Discussion | Everything

Old 03-19-2017, 08:17 PM

Default Valve covers plumbing

Just wondering if anyone has seen a set of valve covers with these mods. both covers are the same. the tubes have 1/8 plugs in them currently.
Attached Images

Old 03-19-2017, 08:22 PM

My first thought would be for oiling the springs to keep down heat and wear but I really can't see the oil holes in the tubes. Just a thought.
Old 03-19-2017, 11:03 PM

Possibly for oil return to sump?
Old 03-20-2017, 09:39 AM

They look like a crude version of the Mopar spray bars that's used both to put oil to the heads and spray the valve springs to keep them cooler. The Indy 572-13 & 600-13 have no way of getting oil to the rockers other than the spray bars and a lot of people use them on the other big block Mopars to cool the valve spring and put more oil on the rocker arms.

Someone must have had a problem or just wanted more oil to the heads. I'm sure the have some Holley carb. jets in them to reduce the oil flow or it would flood the heads and fill the valve covers full of oil. The lines go to the back of the engine where the oil line to the oil gauge and Tee off that fitting to put oil to them.The best thing to do if you use the valve covers is to just block it off at the valve cover.
PS for them to work right the oil would have to come out of the line and spray oil on top of the valve springs not spray it into the bottom of head.

Last edited by BowtieBilly1121; 03-20-2017 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowtieBilly1121 View Post
They look like a crude version of the Mopar spray bars that's used both to put oil to the heads and spray the valve springs to keep them cooler. The Indy 572-13 & 600-13 have no way of getting oil to the rockers other than the spray bars and a lot of people use them on the other big block Mopars to cool the valve spring and put more oil on the rocker arms.

Someone must have had a problem or just wanted more oil to the heads. I'm sure the have some Holley carb. jets in them to reduce the oil flow or it would flood the heads and fill the valve covers full of oil. The lines go to the back of the engine where the oil line to the oil gauge and Tee off that fitting to put oil to them.The best thing to do if you use the valve covers is to just block it off at the valve cover.
PS for them to work right the oil would have to come out of the line and spray oil on top of the valve springs not spray it into the bottom of head.
Where did you read all that? And I thought I was smart. How you been doing? What ever happened to the twin terminators you had at one time? JimB
Old 03-20-2017, 06:52 PM

Hello MrJim,and thanks again for tuning them they worked awesome. That Big Block Chevy engine would eat that Mopar engine alive it had unreal power. I was trying to trade for a dragster with a bigger cage and a man in Ohio offered to trade me a Super-Charged Street Driven Camaro for it and after thinking about it I knew if I traded it would have to be for a Corvette.I got the dragster running pretty good and one Saturday I loaded it and 3/4 of my shop in the trailer. I had 2 good friends to help me but 1 worked at KIA and had to sign a release if they needed him on a off day he had to come in and my other good friend likes to drink and will stay gone a couple of days some. For the 2nd week in a row after loading everything up by myself the one that works at KIA called me and told he was already at work again and the other one that likes to drink didn't show up.And the wife and I were sitting on the porch and a black Corvette rode by and I said I'm gonna trade my Dragster for a Corvette and she said yea and its gonna be red.I have always wanted a Red Corvette and she just said the wrong thing. Monday I PM 4 people with Red Corvettes and 3 of them said no thanks and the very best one the last did not pm me back tell he check his Pm Wed. and he called me and ask me when I wanted to trade. I said this weekend is fine Saturday or Sunday and he said I have to work Sat. & Sun. what if I just rent a U-Haul truck & trailer and bring the Corvette to you and take the dragster back. I never never had the time to tell everybody how the trade come about but I enjoy my Li'll Red Callaway Super-Charged Corvette. PS I should have said this at the start I doing pretty good and hope you are as well.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2017, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yogibear View Post
Just wondering if anyone has seen a set of valve covers with these mods. both covers are the same. the tubes have 1/8 plugs in them currently.
If I were you and wanted to use these valve covers I would block the holes in the bottom and drill some .045 holes in the top bar @ the 4:00 position where they would spray the oil on the rockers and valve springs.

If you look close you can see where the lines come from on my former Mopar engine and go to in valve covers.

PS That's the wrong engine and I can't find the Mopar engine but I will look for it some more tonight I know I have some pictures of it.

PS PS I can't just delete the picture without deleting everything.
Attached Images

Last edited by BowtieBilly1121; 03-21-2017 at 10:24 AM. Reason: wrong engine
Old 03-21-2017, 07:43 PM

Thanks for the replies, I was just curious they came with extra parts with an motor I bought. Ill put them on the shelf someone may need them some day.