DragCoverage.com Speed Forums  

Go Back   DragCoverage.com Speed Forums > Everything Else > Do It Yourself - "Talk Tech"

Old 08-09-2016, 04:52 PM

Default New shop

I am in the early stages of trying to build a new shop at the house. What is the best way to go? Enclosed pole barn? Steel? Wood? Pros and cons. Also, what is the minimum height to be able to install a lift? Probably in the 30x30 size.

Thanks, Brett.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:45 PM

I've got a 30X30 metal building, insulated, 12' eave height but a 12/2 pitch roof (most are 12/1 pitch) to give me enough clearance for a lift. I can lift a full size van and it doesn't touch anywhere. I've got a 10' door, an 8' door (widths that is) and a people door all on the same wall, which means three walls are completely insulated along with the entire roof. I use air circulators currently but have a through-the-wall AC unit ready to install that has supplemental heat and a separate heater as well. The shop actually stays pretty bearable with just the fans, AC will put it into "man cave" territory.

The biggest things are: One, get it permitted. This requires engineered drawings and the county has to inspect it at it's stages of completion. It will cause your property tax to go up, but the flip side is it becomes a permanent structure so you can add it and it's contents to your insurance. A non-permitted building is classified as a temporary structure, so that mega-investment is viewed the same as a 8X10 shed you get at Sears. Also, they can't pour concrete unless it's to the engineer's specs. They pulled a core before they installed my lift, and my concrete was 4.5" thick (spec'ed at 4) so there was no issue with a 10,000lb lift installation. Non-permitted means you have to go around with a measuring tape to make sure they actually have it thick enough, or you'll end up going back and having to put in pads to get a lift installed later. That is also why I spec'ed the 12/2 roof. That gave me ample interior room to install the lift without the extra investment of going with a 14' eave with a 12/1 roof.

Secondly, GET IT INSULATED! My shop versus the same thing non-insulated is not even comparable. Non-insulated feels like a torture chamber in the summer and freezing your balls off in the winter. The insulated ones are much quieter, both from outside noise getting in and inside noise getting out (so you can work at night and not tick off the neighborhood.) I was going to go 30X40 but actually went 30X30 so that it could be insulated.

Third, get a light color. Mine is the lightest tan they had (which matches the brick and the siding on my garage) and the roof is white. The darker the building, the hotter they get.

Finally, get references, and follow up on them. Go find people with metal buildings in your area and ask questions. And get ready for a fiasco, because most metal building companies do NOT provide concrete work. It is extremely difficult to find somebody who does buildings turn-key, so you'll be writing checks to several folks (engineer, building, concrete, electrical, etc.)
Old 08-09-2016, 07:52 PM

A shop is like a enclosed trailer you can not get one to big. But in my case it was more determined by the spot I wanted it in. Next time I will put it behind the house in the middle of the woods and build a 1,000' X 1,000' so I will never run out of room!LOL Wishful thinking!

PS Make it as nice as you can I at least got that part right.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

In Florida, you don't need a permit to build a Pole Barn unless things have changed. At least not in Okaloosa county. Just have to be careful when building it that it doesn't look to nice when you start.

I built a 24 X 30 with steel trusses and did 6 x 6 post for the trusses. The trusses are 12 on 2 pitch. 14 ft. to the eve. Leave at least a 2 inch gap between the roof metal in the center. Ridge cap will cover it good. Lots of heat will leave it that way during the summer. Every piece of wood was treated. Did the roof first then wrapped the building at the bottom with 2 x 4 and a 1 x 4 down the middle the 30 ft. way. Poured half one week so all I had to work with as a 12 x 30 pour then did the other half the next week. Then put a 13 x 30 lean to on one side for firewood, tractor and implements. They are out of the weather and makes me happy. Used 2 x 6 on the roof and 2 x 4 on the sides. Put a piece of 2 or 3 inch conduit with a sweeping 90 where you are going to put your breaker box in the shop before you do the concrete.

Went with Galv. metal on roof and sides.
I soaked all my treated wood in burnt oil and the damn wood borers still love eating it. There is no arsenic in treated anymore and won't kill them.
Old 08-09-2016, 08:34 PM

Well for what it's worth this is what I did.I don't know if pics loaded or not
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2016, 08:38 PM

Well guess they did.
Old 08-09-2016, 11:30 PM

Here's mine right after they got done with the ramp. The ramp ended up way bigger than they expected. You can park two fullsize trucks next to each other on the ramp. Hey, less grass to mow, right?
Attached Images

Old 08-09-2016, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

Both look good.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:19 AM

Those look great!

The problem I keep running into is everyone says pole barn and enclose it will be the least expensive. But when I start adding everything up, it seems to be about what a steel building would cost. Or am I missing something?
Old 08-10-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMohe View Post
Well guess they did.
What finish is that on the concrete?
Old 08-10-2016, 10:48 AM

Brett,
I will not say it is the best way, but I am ordering a Carolina garage and carport from GPB. You can look at the website and see the prices for what you plan to do.

https://www.gaport.com/

I just got approved by Fort Walton City Development to build a 18' x 55' garage (do not have the room to go wider) and a 18' x 31' carport in front of it. I like the quality of the Carolina builds and the price includes the assembly.

Getting quotes from concrete contractors now for the monolithic slab and driveway.
Old 08-10-2016, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordboy View Post
Those look great!

The problem I keep running into is everyone says pole barn and enclose it will be the least expensive. But when I start adding everything up, it seems to be about what a steel building would cost. Or am I missing something?
You missing something. The FREE labor.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:32 PM

the house we're about to start building will also have a 30x30 shop built with it Brett. I'm watching how you do yours to get some ideas. Brixey has a nice shop and he had spray foam insulation done on his. Not sure what the cost is but I think once the electrical on mine is done, I'll likely do the same. Torn right now between doing central hvac or just a good window unit though. Never had a heated/cooled shop before so I'm kinda dumb when it comes to that end of it. Good luck on the building buddy.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:33 PM

Koch's building price is right in line with what I paid, but the contractor was responsible for the concrete work and leveling. All I literally did was give them a key to the gate and said "have fun, I'll have people keeping an eye on you." That picture of the floor above looks to be smooth finish, mine is brushed.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:41 PM

Bill, you're going to be much cheaper going with a through-the-wall unit on a shop versus an HVAC like a house simply on initial cost alone. You'll have to add a separate heater, but you're still saving money any way you look at it.
Old 08-10-2016, 12:46 PM

There is no way you can beat this for the money. 30 x 60 with 14 ft. sides metal. My ground was very uneven and I didn't want to build up 18" of concrete. 6x6 post with 2x6 side boards and 2" angle trusses.
Attached Images

Old 08-10-2016, 02:07 PM

my next door neighbor has 24x30.one roll up and one walk in,insulated on concrete slab fo around 10K. He now has it airconditioned lots of lights. built his shelves and work benches. very nice and comfortable. He did total restore on 57 ford convertible and others has a home paint booth that can be put together and easy taken apart. does some show stopping work in this 24x30 metal bldg.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicchevy View Post
my next door neighbor has 24x30.one roll up and one walk in,insulated on concrete slab fo around 10K. He now has it airconditioned lots of lights. built his shelves and work benches. very nice and comfortable. He did total restore on 57 ford convertible and others has a home paint booth that can be put together and easy taken apart. does some show stopping work in this 24x30 metal bldg.
I keep looking at the 24x30 and that would be plenty of room. For now. Just worried 5 years down the road that I will be crying the blues on not building bigger. Like Billy said, it can never be big enough.
Old 08-10-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitts Performance 1 View Post
There is no way you can beat this for the money. 30 x 60 with 14 ft. sides metal. My ground was very uneven and I didn't want to build up 18" of concrete. 6x6 post with 2x6 side boards and 2" angle trusses.

I keep hearing that. Im going to start pricing different building options. Are you going to add concrete later?
Old 08-10-2016, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordboy View Post
What finish is that on the concrete?
Its a sealer called Super Seal 30. Works great for sealing concrete. Stops the dust that never stops if u don't do something. Oil spills clean up good. Only problem with it is solvents such as gas, brake kleen, thinner and etc will lift it. I wanted to epoxy it or something along those lines. It was more money than I wanted to spend at the time. 200.00 dollars bought enough to cover 40x60 slab. For me the pole barn idea was considerably cheaper. I did all my wiring. Wood is way more easier than metal to attach stuff to if u know what I mean. LOL. Pole barn was not my first choice. After I did it. It was the right decision for me. Maybe this helps a little.