Bob glidden admits he cheated - DragCoverage.com Speed Forums

Old December 11th, 2009, 08:34 PM
Bobby Joe Edwards

Send a message via Yahoo to showdown482 Send a message via Skype™ to showdown482
Default Bob glidden admits he cheated

December 9, 2008
BG: Well, I’m going to tell you the exact truth about this deal. Exactly what happened, so that if there are any friggin’ questions on anyone’s mind, this is the way all that came down. My two sons banged on me for two years that another race team was cheating us … more than two years, maybe three or four world championships, and tons of races. Finally, I got so tired of listening to thim, that one night as we were leaving the shop, I turned to thim and said, “If you think it’s so easy, you do it.” So they did. When I came in the next morning to work, he had a Pro Stock car sitting there with nitrous in it and I couldn’t find it.
So we put an old junk engine in that car and took it to Topeka, and Rusty qualified number four in it. I mean this engine is one you wouldn’t put it in your pickup truck to get it down the road. Look, it wasn’t right, but there had to be a point proven to them. So I told the NHRA, and I had never gone to them directly and said, “People here are using nitrous, destroying our livelihood.” And they (NHRA) just went on and on. The boys thought they should just race that, but I couldn’t let that happen. And time went on, and finally, I showed NHRA that the car had nitrous on it. That’s when I got on the blacklist.
Shortly after that, the race team we thought was doing it said that they had a (shop) break in, someone chipped a couple of pieces off some engines and that put them out of business. It all got covered up and blown over, outside of the fact that, I guess, in many people’s minds we ended up being the bad guys for proving it (nitrous usage) was going on. In the end, for a long period of time it tore my family apart, it destroyed me financially to deal with it, and that’s the story. So if anyone wants to know, that’s the friggin’ story, that’s what happened.
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Heavy Hitter

Garage

wow, ballsy thing to say. Kinda confirms what everyone was saying about Aldermans Mopar gang at the time huh? Wonder if they'll be able to find the setup on Jeggy's car too?!
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:28 PM
Bobby Joe Edwards

Send a message via Yahoo to showdown482 Send a message via Skype™ to showdown482

BOB GOT CAUGHT HE DID NOT TELL THEM HE HAD NOS UNTIL THEY FOUND IT..THATS BS ABOVE....

He never told where the nos was...... Can anyone guess???????
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:40 PM
Bobby Joe Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by batman View Post
wow, ballsy thing to say. Kinda confirms what everyone was saying about Aldermans Mopar gang at the time huh? Wonder if they'll be able to find the setup on Jeggy's car too?!

Darrell Alderman was banned "for life" for nitrous use AND HE DID NOT KNOW ABOUT IT.

FEEDBACK ARTICLE - JERRY ECKMAN IS READY TO TALK
I think this was a pretty good article on the controversy surrounding Jerry and it made me sympathetic to his plight....but.

The fact is that he's a grown man and made a conscious decision to cheat to be competitive like so many of the other teams. If you're just testing the NHRA tech department and just seeing if you can get away with a cylinder inside the dry sump tank you don't do it with a full bottle. If you're silly enough to do it with a full bottle you don't disable the safety disc unless you want a bomb. Jerry claims it would have never worked. He's either naive or trying to sway opinion. If they hadn't heated the oil in the tank it would have done something whether Jerry was aware of its operation or not. From the conversation I've had on the subject with a Pro Stock engine builder personality there is no reason to suspect the driver would have needed to have a clue about its operation. This is the trust Bill had in Jerry and I suppose some respect to tell him. I don't recall Jerry saying anything about how it was activated.

Frankly this is exactly the same as steroids in professional sports. As a spectator many just want to see a close and exciting performance. As a performer you want to remain marketable and competitive with an edge. It can be very high pressure. With specially blended fuels, admitted and obvious nitrous oxide use, "broken distributor rotors" (remember that excuse?), active ride height adjustment, illegal sized and legally engraved front tires and other little tweaks 10 years ago you were in a snake pit if you competed in Pro Stock. I would have to assume much hasn't changed today.

Its just too bad Jerry and Co. didn't get to use it and get good at it before the unfortunate accident. Look how Billy Glidden has capitalized on nitrous after his expose' in SS&DI. He's been terrorizing the outlaw events for years now and racing where he pleases on his own schedule without the stress and drama of NHRA Pro Stock.

Jerry's team was caught and should be thankful nobody was seriously injured or killed. I also think it’s about time for some amnesty and he should be reinstated without another penny spent on a fine. He's paid his debt. He was always an approachable driver in the pits and I think I still have a couple of his hero cards laying around.

Darrell Alderman was banned "for life" for nitrous use.....no illegal use of cocaine. How long is a life sentence in Glendora California anyways? What's good for the goose.

Bring him back and let’s see what he got. - Mark Andereck, Shawnee Kansas
Old December 11th, 2009, 09:54 PM
Bobby Joe Edwards

Pages: 1
Bob Glidden interview

This is interesting:

--------------------

Post Extras:

Re: Bob Glidden interview [Re:

Great read nice info on the dodge boys

Re: Bob Glidden interview [Re

Gets interesting on page four when Bob talks about his boys running NO2 and the breakin of Wayne County.

What a racer.

--------------------

Post Extras:

Re: Bob Glidden interview

Very interesting. I still have the article from National Dragster when this all was revealed.
Also have an article that reveals how Bob Glidden hid the Nitrous and how he was disappointed that the NHRA tech officials couldnt find it. He also went as far to say: "NHRA needs to hire more qualified officials who know what to look for."

Good reading, thanks.

Great link..

Nitrous and cocaine fueled the Dodge boys !!

Post Extras:

We made up a poster for our shop wall that said:
"This is your brain" and below it a press release photo of the Dodge's first nat championship
Below that was:
"This is your brain on drugs" with the press release photo of their second championship.

It got mixed reviews.

Post Extras:

Quote:

Also have an article that reveals how Bob Glidden hid the Nitrous and how he was disappointed that the NHRA tech officials couldnt find it.

Where did he hide it?

Quote:

Quote:

Also have an article that reveals how Bob Glidden hid the Nitrous and how he was disappointed that the NHRA tech officials couldnt find it.

Where did he hide it?

i am probably wrong, but if i remember correctly, a fake battery?

Quote:

Very interesting. I still have the article from National Dragster when this all was revealed.
Also have an article that reveals how Bob Glidden hid the Nitrous and how he was disappointed that the NHRA tech officials couldnt find it. He also went as far to say: "NHRA needs to hire more qualified officials who know what to look for."

Good reading, thanks.

Quote:

Quote:

Good reading, thanks.

Yes it was. Bob couldn't even find it after he knew the boys did it. If Bob couldn't even find it on his own car how in the world do you think NHRA was going to find it. Its still happens. I guarantee that!
Wasn't it Rusty Glidden who did that?

Quote:

Quote:

Good reading, thanks.

Wasn't it Rusty Glidden who did that?

Correct. Change Bob Glidden to The Gliddens.
typo

Unfortunately there was a lot more cheating going on than just this. I heard first hand from an ex PS driver just how "simple" it really is and some things teams were doing to beat the system. It wasnt just with nitrous but also with weight, fuel etc.

Post Extras:

Cheating or not cheating the dodge boys had one of pro stock racing best driver ever.Darrell Alderman. But what I want to know if the dodge boys was cheating what happen to Scott in the years of 92 93? If I remember Scott couldn't buy a win and didn't win a championship title. Shouldn't Scott have been as dominate as 90 91 and 94 if they were using NOS? So what happen during those 2 years?

The Gliddens only admitted they used it AFTER they were caught. Tech officials took a sample of one of their post run oil changes and discovered NOS in the oil. That's when they confessed, not prior as the interview states.

--------------------

the whole thing sounds more like sour grapes from a team that was getting beat.

Quote:

Cheating or not cheating the dodge boys had one of pro stock racing best driver ever.Darrell Alderman. But what I want to know if the dodge boys was cheating what happen to Scott in the years of 92 93? If I remember Scott couldn't buy a win and didn't win a championship title. Shouldn't Scott have been as dominate as 90 91 and 94 if they were using NOS? So what happen during those 2 years?

as someone who followed the dodge boys ..

DA was usually first off the starting line...scott was not.

--------------------

Quote:

The Gliddens only admitted they used it AFTER they were caught. Tech officials took a sample of one of their post run oil changes and discovered NOS in the oil. That's when they confessed, not prior as the interview states.

nitrous is a gas... how does a gas that is used up in combustion end up in the oil?

Quote:

Quote:

nitrous is a gas... how does a gas that is used up in combustion end up in the oil?

Too much at one time. Just like flooding a motor with gas. You will have traces of it in the oil. Oil is also present in the chamber when there is detonation and oil washes throught the entire motor.

--------------------

oh...

thanks for explaining, makes sense, i guess. I'll read up on it later and satisfy my curiousity.

I was at an engine shop in Indiana one time maybe 10 years ago--was taken upstairs to an empty office and when they opened the door and turned on the lights--I almost fell out! There ..scattered all over this empty office was every Ironman and trophy that Glidden had ever won---it was thrown in there like junk in a storage unit--You can't imagine how many there were--it was AMAZING to think of the amount of late hours and HARD work that it took to win those--there before me lay the entire racing life of one of the greats--I was told it was all being stored there for safe keeping. That man just plain OUT WORKED the competition period--only other one like that is Herb McCandless--just out worked them--simple as that.

Quote:

I was at an engine shop in Indiana one time maybe 10 years ago--was taken upstairs to an empty office and when they opened the door and turned on the lights--I almost fell out! There ..scattered all over this empty office was every Ironman and trophy that Glidden had ever won---it was thrown in there like junk in a storage unit--You can't imagine how many there were--it was AMAZING to think of the amount of late hours and HARD work that it took to win those--there before me lay the entire racing life of one of the greats--I was told it was all being stored there for safe keeping. That man just plain OUT WORKED the competition period--only other one like that is Herb McCandless--just out worked them--simple as that.

I saw that too, couldn't believe the history in front of me, made the hair on my neck stand up knowing those were all won by the winningest guy in NHRA (at the time).
And yes, he outworked anyone in the shop, young or old.

...and he undoubtly can do it even today. But he can't outwork two, three or four dedicated skillful guys that are able to work togehter.

70aar,i guess scott reation time must have been better after darrell came back because i bet scott won more race in 94 vs 92 and 93 together.Didnt it came down to the last race from the title between d.a and scott? Also i believe the dodge boys was killing the other teams by E.T wise.No where as tough as it is now. You know the say the one that is accusing is that one that doing? Warren johnson!

Old December 11th, 2009, 09:59 PM

Not saying its right...but they were pretty smart cookies to do that
And not get caught...

Greg Andersons a cheater
oops didnt mean that to be out loud
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:08 PM
Bobby Joe Edwards

The glidden's are also banned for life from nhra.........

Bob should be removed from the nhra hall of fame if u ask me thats bs..
A cheater is a cheater....

The techs can't find greg & jason's traction control device now...
That's because it's on them not in the car duh.....
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Bobby Joe Edwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by mackracing View Post
Not saying its right...but they were pretty smart cookies to do that
And not get caught...

Greg Andersons a cheater
oops didnt mean that to be out loud
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by showdown482 View Post
The glidden's are also banned for life from nhra.........

Bob should be removed from the nhra hall of fame if u ask me thats bs..
A cheater is a cheater....

The techs can't find greg & jason's traction control device now...
That's because it's on them not in the car duh.....

yeah i agree about the hall of fame....you screw up you get screwed!!!

Thats what i said too check him lol
Old December 11th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Bobby Joe Edwards

Bob Glidden
(1944 - )

When Bob Glidden retired in 1997, he was the winningest driver in the history of the National Hot Rod Association. Glidden’s 85 wins in Pro Stock were the most in any NHRA class. His unprecedented success look him to ten NHRA Pro Stock championships, including a record five in a row from 1985 thru 1989. Glidden also won an IHRA championship and several events on that circuit. His other Pro Stock championships came in 1974 (his second full season), in 1975, 1978, 1979 and 1980.

Glidden’s career was distinguished by long stretches of domination over his rivals. In 1979, he won nine consecutive national events. In 1987, Glidden was the fastest qualifier in all 14 events, and won the last five in a row. He began the 1988 season by being the fastest qualifier in the first nine events to stretch his streak to 23 over two seasons. In the process, he built a streak of 50 consecutive rounds won during that time. But 1989 was his most dominant season ever. Glidden posted wins in seven of the first 11 races of the year, and led the points the entire season enroute to his tenth and last championship.

After he retired, Glidden worked for Ford to help them develop their Winston Cup program. Always a family man, Glidden’s wife, Etta, and sons Billy and Rusty were a big part of his team, each earning All-Star status themselves. In 2001, Glidden was named #4 on NHRA’s All-Time Greatest Drivers list.

Bob Glidden, Inducted 2005